At Ark Valley Voice, we believe that your trust is earned; by covering the community news that matters to your daily lives, by basing our news stories on facts, by speaking the truth, even when it might be safer not to. We deliver news six and often seven-days-a-week, digital and free directly to you.
We write this Dec. 26, with five more days left in the Colorado NewsMatch challenge. We are $1,000 away from our goal of $5,000 in donations. We are overwhelmed and grateful for this support, all of which goes toward reporter salaries.
That $5,000 number is important, because if we reach that goal, it will be matched by a $5,000 match from the Colorado Media Project via the Rose Community Foundation. This is your chance as a reader to make a real difference supporting local journalism.
This is truly a big deal: Ark Valley Voice was selected as one of only 25 newsrooms across the state of Colorado to participate in this critical NewsMatch campaign to help fund the delivery of fact-based, community journalism.
It’s been a tough year for everyone during the COVID-19 pandemic. For newsrooms, it has meant the disappearance of most retail advertising, as retailers have suffered. But in 2020, Colorado’s local newsrooms have been busier than ever, demonstrating our civic value as an essential public service:
- This year Ark Valley Voice has written more than 400 news story on COVID-19 alone; documenting the impacts of COVID-19 on our health, our businesses, our schools and daily lives;
- We broke the story of the right-wing militia’s links to Chaffee County, and the formation of the Chaffee Patriots;
- We covered the local and national impacts of the 2020 election;
- Ark Valley Voice shown a light on the social justice issues that rocked not just our nation, but cropped up in our local community;
- We have participated in not one, but two statewide news efforts involving the Associated Press; This past spring we were asked to participate in the COVID-19 Diaries documenting impact on the area we serve. Currently we are part of the statewide coverage of the mental health impacts of this stressful year, called “On Edge.”
- Ark Valley Voice just broke the national story of Dr. Eric Coomer, Dominion Voting Systems VP who has found himself with a $1 million price on his head for doing his job;
- We earned recognition from our peers: awarded six Colorado Press Association awards for our work.
Ark Valley Voice journalists are your neighbors; we fact-check online misinformation, hold a mirror to our communities and our governments, and hold the powerful to account.
Until Dec. 31, Colorado Media Project (CMP) is offering a dollar-for-dollar match for contributions to Ark Valley Voice; matching gifts from individuals of up to $1,000 for a total of up to $5,000 per newsroom.
Donations to Ark Valley Voice through Dec. 31 will count toward this prestigious NewsMatch grant — so readers, now is your chance to contribute to the mission that “truth has a voice”. Thank you readers, for your support.