The Town of Buena Vista (BV) will be holding a kick-off meeting for their Housing Affordability Code Audit at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, March 31, in the Aspen Room at the Community Center (715 East Main Street in Buena Vista).
Buena Vista was awarded a planning grant from the Department of Local Affairs (DOLA) as part of their Innovative Affordable Housing Strategies (IHOP) grant program. After a Request for Proposals (RFP) process, the town engaged Cappelli Consulting as the lead consultant to examine the town’s Unified Development Code and development review processes and procedures.
The goal of this audit is to identify and bring forward recommendations for changes that could incentivize and/or remove barriers to creating affordable and workforce housing. Cappelli and their sub-consultants, Willaford Consulting and Clarion Associates, will
- Research and review current code languages, relevant processes, and procedures,
- Interview stakeholders, including town staff, developers, real estate agents, and others involved in the development process,
- Coordinate with updates from the Housing Needs Assessment (HNA) to shape their suggestions,
- Draft recommendations to the Planning & Zoning Commission and Board of Trustees for feedback, and
- Finalize their recommendations to bring to the Town Staff and Board of Trustees for consideration.
More information about the meeting can be found on the my-bv.com portal. In response to questions on the post about Zoom options, Planning Director Joseph Teipel said there would be a “basic set up to listen in,” but that their normal hybrid system would be unavailable that evening. A Zoom link will be posted before the meeting.