The Colorado Mountain College Eagles cross-country running team on November 13 competed in their second national championship in CMC’s history, concluding their 2021 racing season. The team traveled to Pole Green Park in Mechanicsville, Virginia to race against hundreds of college runners at the National Junior College Athletic Association’s Division One Cross Country 2021 Championships.
Top women’s finisher for CMC was Abby Hagen of Lockport, Illinois who placed 65th overall in the 5K race with a time of 20:30. Jason Macaluso of Vail was the top runner for the men’s team running to 118th place with a time of 28:11 over the 8K course.
Clocking six personal records at the meet were Reese Fledderjohn, CJ Brenny, Abby Hagen, Kaylynn Shaffer, Hope Maldonado and Carmen Tallbear-Edmunds. Hagen achieved a new school record, and Anais Garcia ran a season best.
“The women ran one heck of a race. They held nothing back and it showed in their times and overall result. The men had a tough day, but still ran great as a pack,” said head coach Darren Brungardt.
The race signified the last competition for Macaluso’s CMC racing career. Since 2019, he has been the top male CMC runner in all but two races. Also running in their last cross-country races for CMC were Reese Fledderjohn, Madisen Johnson, CJ Brenny, Autry Lomahongva, Adam Garcia and Dylan Dunbar.
“It’s been so inspiring to coach this amazing group of athletes,” said Brungardt.
CMC’s men’s team was ranked 24th in the country, and finished 23rd, while the women were ranked 20th and finished 19th. CMC Athletic Director Angela Dunn explained “In our third season, we continued to see our program grow and develop even throughout these challenging COVID years. Darren and I are excited with the progress we’ve made and cannot wait to see what the future holds for our team.”
CMC’s cross-country team is now in its third year, and is based at CMC Leadville, though team members can train virtually at any of the college’s 11 campuses. For more information about the team, click here.
Meet results for CMC runners
Men’s 8K results
- 118th Jason Macaluso (Vail, Colo.) 28.11
- 132nd Reese Fledderjohn (Grand Junction, Colo.) 28:37
- 137th CJ Brenny (Hastings, Minn.) 28:46
- 156th Luke Plummer (Seymour, Ind.) 29.49
- 158th Autry Lomahongva (Kayenta, Ariz.) 29.54
- 170th Adam Garcia (Erie, Colo.) 30.51
- 185th Dylan Dunbar (Silt, Colo.) 33:13
Women’s 5K results
- 65th Abby Hagen (Lockport, Ill.) 20:30
- 85th Kaylynn Shaffer (Salida, Colo.) 21:17
- 96th Hope Maldonado (Colorado Springs, Colo.) 21:48
- 131st Anais Garcia (Erie, Colo.) 23:18
- 141st Madisen Johnson (Windsor, Colo.) 24:22
- 152nd Carmen Tallbear-Edmunds (Charlottesville, Va.) 25:58