Another side impact to the Nov. 3, 2020, General Election was the expansion of the Colorado State Senate Democratic party majority to 20 members. Chris Kolker succeeded in his bid for Senate District 27 (Centennial), which until now has been a Republican stronghold.
Several democratic caucus members defended their seats across the state:
- Joann Ginal (SD14 – Fort Collins)
- Steve Fenberg (SD18 – Boulder)
- Rachel Zenzinger (SD19 – Arvada)
- Dominick Moreno (SD21 – Commerce City)
- Jeff Bridges (SD26 – Greenwood Village)
- Rhonda Fields (SD29 – Aurora)
- Chris Hansen (SD31 – Denver).
Thursday, the Colorado Senate Democrats held their biannual Leadership elections. In addition to reaffirming the positions below, Senator Kerry Donovan (SD5 – who covers Chaffee County) was named President pro tem of the Colorado Senate.
The caucus reaffirmed their support for the following positions:
President of the Senate: Senator Leroy Garcia (SD3 – Pueblo)
Senate Majority Leader: Senator Steve Fenberg (SD18 – Boulder)
Assistant Majority Leader: Senator Rhonda Fields (SD29 – Aurora)
JBC Chair: Senator Dominick Moreno (SD21 – Denver)
Newly appointed positions are as follows:
- President pro tem: Senator Kerry Donovan (SD5 – Vail)
- Majority Whip: Senator Jeff Bridges (SD26 – Greenwood Village)
- Caucus Chair: Senator Julie Gonzales (SD34 – Denver)
- JBC Member: Senator Chris Hansen (SD31 – Denver)
“I am incredibly proud of the team we have assembled,” said Senate President Leroy Garcia. “Looking across the diverse, thoughtful, and tenacious members of this leadership body, I have no doubt that while our challenges may be enormous, we will approach them with grace and fortitude – working together to bring healing and relief to the incredible people of Colorado.”
In addition to this historic pick-up in the Colorado Senate, previous House members James Coleman (SD33 – Denver), Sonya Jaquez Lewis in (SD19 – Boulder), and Janet Buckner in (SD28 – Aurora), were elected to join the Senate as well.
The 2021 legislative session is set to begin on January 13.