The Buena Vista Board of Education (BOE) will gather for their regular meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, November 6 at 113 North Court Street. This will be the final meeting before the Tuesday, November 7 election determines who will sit in five of the seven board seats.
Treasurer Jessica Crites and Director Lynn Montoya hold the two seats not contested in this election.
Current BOE Vice President Brett Mitchell and candidate Casey Martin are running for the District 1 seat.
Mallory Brooks and Montana Brown are seeking the four-year At Large seat. Candidates Paula Dylan and Trinda Windle are seeking the two-year At Large seat.
Candidates Norman Nyberg and George Richardson are running unopposed for District 3 and District 4 respectively.
The full agenda for Monday’s meeting is available online here.
The consent agenda up for approval at the meeting includes monitoring reports from the October 23 BOE meeting, the October financial report, and the discussed updates to the following policies:
- JKA: Use of Physical Intervention and Restraint
- JK: Student Discipline
- LBD: Relations with Charter Schools
- JKD/JKE: Suspension, Expulsion, Denial of Admission of Students
- JKD/JKE-R: Suspension/Expulsion of Students
- AC: Non-Discrimination/Equal Opportunity
- GBAA: Sexual Harassment
- JBB: Sexual Harassment
Up for discussion and action are linkages for the next three months (November, December, and January), Colorado Association of School Board (CASB) Planning, and a resolution regarding the purchase card process.
Communication reports include the Principal Showcase: Character Centered, audit distribution report, superintendent report on facilities and maintenance and administrative policies D and F, and regular board reports from the District Accountability Committee (DAC), Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES), and the Elementary/Preschool Campus Committee.
There will also be a review of the monitoring report focused on facilities.
According to the agenda, “The Board of Education may move into Executive Session for reasons allowable pursuant Colo. Rev Stat. 24-6-402 (4).”
The next regular meeting for the BV BOE will occur earlier than usual at 6:00 p.m. Monday, November 27.
Tuesday, November 7 Election Fast Approaching
Readers can catch up on our elections coverage below. Remember all ballots must be turned in or voters are to be in line to vote by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day, Nov. 7.
- Plenty of Options to Vote
- Part I and Part II of the LWVCC School Board Candidate Forum. Video of the forum is available online here.
- Part I and Part II of the Engaged Elections School Board Candidate Questions
- Northern Chaffee County Library District Ballot Question Addresses Need for Expansion
- Two Statewide Ballot Issues for Voters to Decide
- Ballot Counts and Kind Remarks for Chaffee Clerk’s Office
- General Search: AVV Elections Coverage
Vote411.org is also available to help voters make an election plan. For those with questions about the election, these are good numbers to know:
Elections Hotline: 719-966-9082
Main Clerk’s Office, 719-539-4004