On Wednesday, Governor Jared Polis announced the panel that will review applications and is charged with recommending finalists to the Governor for the appointment as District Attorney to the 12th Judicial District. The July 14 resignation of the San Luis Valley District Attorney Alonzo Payne was announced ahead of a recall election.
The resignation came only one day after Colorado Attorney General (AG) Phil Weiser announced he found that Payne had systemically violated crime victims’ rights.
Panel members include:
- Governor Bill Ritter – former District Attorney in the 2nd Judicial District (Denver)
- Eugene Farish – former District Attorney in the 12th Judicial District (Alamosa, Conejos, Costilla, Mineral, Rio Grande, Saguache)
- Stan Garnett – former District Attorney in the 20th Judicial District (Boulder)
- Cliff Reidel – former District Attorney in the 8th Judicial District (Jackson and Larimer)
- Kara Veitch – Chief Legal Counsel to Governor Polis
The Governor has instructed the panel to present him with at least two and hopefully three qualified finalists for the position for his consideration. The application process will remain open until qualified candidates are found. Interviews will begin next month.
Those interested should submit resumes and cover letters to: firstname.lastname@example.org