This is why Ark Valley Voice Needs Your Help to Celebrate Christmas — in August!
The founders of our country believed that an independent press, unfettered from loyalty to politics or party, was required to protect the democratic republic they created. We do too.
Whether or not you recall the words of the First Amendment, the freedom of the press is enshrined there. At AVV, we look for the truth and we make sure to give that truth a voice.
For the same reason we stand for truth, we belong to the Colorado Press Association (CPA) from which we’ve won multiple CPA Awards of Excellence, and the Colorado News Collaborative of fact-based news media that together blankets Colorado with collaborative reporting on issues of statewide importance.
We delayed the summer give campaign that we depend upon for our fall operations so we could announce that as of last week, at the age of four-and-a-half years — Ark Valley Voice (AVV ) is now a nonprofit and a bonafide member of the Institute for Nonprofit News.
Together, those three associations extol the highest ethical standards of journalism and we have met those standards.
As a nonprofit, we remain free to readers; so that everyone regardless of their ability to pay, can have access to independent, fact-based, unbiased news.
To fill our role in this democracy, we need our readers’ support. Being a nonprofit means:
- Donations of any amount, whether from individuals or corporations, are 100 percent tax-deductible and constitute membership in our work;
- Donations through PayPal now flow through our 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor, the Institute for Nonprofit News, making every donation to us and our work a tax deduction for you;
- As a nonprofit — your contributions to AVV can place you in our Founders Circle — making you critical to the success of our mission in the Arkansas River Valley, helping support us while we reach readers who may not be able to afford to donate, but who nevertheless deserve news to make decisions about their lives.
- Independent journalism holds government to account, officials to truth, and corporations to honest operation.
- Ark Valley Voice has never endorsed political candidates and we won’t now. If we’re doing our job, it’s more important that you understand the issues and the candidates to make up your own mind.
Our reporters are passionate, professional journalists, with years of reporting across the depth and breadth of this state and this country. We work hard to give you news six days a week; news that doesn’t tell you what to think; it gives you things to think about.
Giving and the Goal
Our goal for this summer drive is $20,000. Yes, it’s a little more than we raised last summer. But every penny of donations goes to pay journalists’ wages. Nothing else.
Whether you are an individual reader, a small business, or a corporation becoming an underwriter, we hope you’ll consider a tax-deductible donation to Ark Valley Voice — because democracy needs true and truthful independent journalism.
Just click on the donate buttons in the Christmas in August messages on this page. Or, if you prefer, write a check made out to Institute for Nonprofit News with “Ark Valley Voice” in the memo line and mail it to:
Institute for Nonprofit News — att: Ark Valley Voice
8549 Wilshire Blvd #2294
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Featured image: Freedom of the press is critical to the pillars of democracy. Image: The Harvard Review.