On October 6, the League of Women Voters Chaffee County held a community conversation with City of Salida and Salida School Board candidates via Zoom in preparation for the November 2 Elections. Most, but not all the candidates running for seats on city council and school board were present.
First up in the community conversation were city council candidates. All city candidates were present and included:
- Dominique Naccarato for Ward 1
- Justin Critelli for Ward 2
- Harald Kasper for Ward 3
- Adam Martinez for Ward 3
Dan Shore, who is currently a city council member for Ward 1, and the current Mayor Pro Tem is running unopposed for mayor.
Not all those candidates running for the Salida School Board were present. Those on the Zoom meeting included:
- Carrie Coscarella-Mattix for Director District 1 — who is currently on the school board
- Jodi Breckenridge Petit for Director District 2 — who currently holds the District 2 position
- Mandy Paschall for Director District 3
- Joseph Smith for Director District 4 — who is currently the District 4 director
- Jeannie Peters for Director At Large — who is currently the Director-at-large
Abby Jefferson running for District 2 said she was unable to attend due to scheduling issues. Catherine Rich who is running for District 3 and Jennifer Adamson who is running for District 4 said they would only attend the meeting if it was held in person.
While several of the school board candidates who were there participated in the Ark Valley introductory article about the candidates, there is, as yet, no indication of the issues or goals behind the candidacies of Jefferson, Rich, and Adamson.
Candidates for the City and School Board were each asked a variety of questions which included questions on current issues within the community. They were all given one minute to answer as well as time for introductions and closing statements. The community conversation was recorded and can be found here.