San Luis Valley Public Health reports that it has delivered more than 5,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine in the San Luis Valley, representing somewhere between 15.1 and 30.2 percent of the population of their service area (both first and second doses). The San Luis Valley has a population of about 16,550 and encompasses five counties: Alamosa, Conejos, Costilla, Rio Grande, and Saguache.
Beginning February 8, those ages 65-69 become eligible to receive their dose of the vaccine.
Local public health agencies in the valley are also reaching out to schools and licensed childcare providers to arrange vaccinations for those groups as well. The state has been focused on making in-person learning options safe and possible.
The San Luis Valley Public Health Partnership and vaccine providers emphasize that even once fully vaccinated, measures like masks and social distancing are still necessary to help prevent further spread. As of Thursday, February 4, there are more than 120 known active COVID-19 cases in the San Luis Valley. Cases are listed by county below, along with each county’s Dial status.
Alamosa County 74 – Orange
Conejos County 9 – Orange
Costilla County 3 – Orange
Mineral County 3 – Orange
Rio Grande County 35 – Orange
Saguache County 1 – Yellow
Vaccine supply in the valley is on the rise, but it will still take time for all those eligible and who want one to receive a vaccination. Community commitment to precautions is essential to minimizing new cases and to qualify for looser restrictions on businesses and gatherings. Those interested in and eligible for a vaccine can call or sign up online. Vaccine providers include:
- Rio Grande Hospital – 719-657-2418 or https://riograndehospital.org/
- SLV Health – 719-587-1355 or https://www.sanluisvalleyhealth.org/
- Valley Wide Health Systems – 719-587-9610
- Safeway – https://www.mhealthappointments.com/covidappt
- Alamosa County Public Health – 710-589-6639 or www.alamosacounty.org
- Conejos County Public Health – 719-274-4307 or online form
- Costilla County Public Health – 719- 672-3332 or https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/costillacounty
- Silver Thread Public Health – 719-658-2416 or http://www.silverthreadpublichealth.org
- Rio Grande County Public Health – 719-657-3352 or https://www.riograndecounty.org/public-health
- Saguache County Public Health – 719-655-2533 or https://www.saguachecounty.net/index.php/public-health-home
Those seeking testing in the San Luis Valley can call one of the providers below:
- Rio Grande Hospital 719-657-4990
- SLV Health Respiratory Clinic 719-589-3000 ext. 9
- Valley-Wide Health Systems 719-589-3658 ext. 4 (Monday through Friday), and 719-589-2562 (Saturday and Sunday)