The Salida Winter Shelters will open on November 1. Winter is coming and this year Chaffee County Hospitality Inc. will operate two shelters.:
- Men’s shelter located at the First Christian Church at 302 East 4th Street
- Women’s shelter is located at the United Methodist Church at 228 East 4th Street
Shelters will be open from 8:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. November 1 to April 30. Meals will be served each night. CCHI is in need of donated meals for the upcoming winter season. Dinners are sought such as casseroles, stews, or soups, packed in aluminum trays if you don’t wish to retrieve cooking ware the next day. Meals are asked to be delivered at 8:15 p.m. and are needed from November 1 to April 30. 10 meals a night are needed at the women’s and men’s shelter. Click here to sign up.
Families with children will be lodged in local motels with limits on the length of stay.
Statistics from October 1, 2020 – September 2021:
- 56 total adults housed
- 26 total children housed
- 195 nights of housing provided
- 17 families housed equaling 22 adults, 26 children for 88 nights
- 34 adults housed for 107 nights
- 8 people were housed following hospital stays, surgeries, or medical procedures
- 3 custodial visits
- 2 long-term mental health stays for 49 nights
- 7 of the 56 adults were transients, 49 were local residents
CCHI is seeking to raise $109,000, which will be used to pay the night staff and motel vouchers, as well as purchasing sleeping bags, pads, tents and other cold-weather supplies as needed. There are three ways to donate:
- Through checks, made payable to Chaffee County Hospitality Inc. and mailed to the First Presbyterian Church, 7 Poncha Blvd., Salida, CO 81201
- Through the CCHI website
- Through their Go Fund Me page
CCHI is in the process of hiring night managers. They pay managers $150 a night. Interested parties are encouraged to contact Brent Wiescamp at 970-481-7562.