On Jan. 8, 2022 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office received a call of a suspicious incident in the 700 block of Scott Street, which is technically in unincorporated Chaffee County but at the eastern edge of Salida. When deputies arrived they contacted the complainant who pointed out where there were several empty shell casings and provided information of a previous disturbance in the neighborhood the night before.
With the assistance of the Salida Police Department, a further investigation revealed where several shots were fired in the 600 to 700 block of Scott Street, and a residence was struck with gunfire.
A search warrant was obtained for a residence in the 600 block of Scott Street and with the assistance of the Chaffee County Combined Tactical Team the search warrant was executed on Jan. 9, 2022.
An arrest warrant was obtained for a juvenile in connection to this incident for the following charges:
- Illegal Discharge of a Firearm, Class 5 Felony
- Reckless Endangerment, Class 3 Misdemeanor
- Felony Menacing, Class 5 Felony
- Criminal Mischief, Class 1 Misdemeanor
- Prohibited Use of a Firearm, Class 2 Misdemeanor
- Possession of a Handgun by a Juvenile, Class 5 Felony.
The juvenile suspect remains at large, however, this incident appears to be isolated.
This is an open investigation and no further comment is available.