Colorado boasts the highest city in North America, and at 10,152′, Leadville, Colo., offers abundant winter activities to experience outdoor fun in a genuine and historic mountain town. Ski Cooper, a ski “resort” without the pretense, is set to open on Wednesday, December 7, 2022.
Cooper is a great place to escape the crowds and take a much-needed break in the mountains, surrounded by majestic beauty. There are no lift lines, high prices, high-rise condos, or hard, man-made “snow.” Cooper boasts wide-open spaces in a family-friendly and affordable environment. There are 64 ski runs at Cooper, served by 5 lifts, spanning 480 lift-served acres.
To get the best deals, purchase lift tickets online at least 48 hours in advance. Snow conditions may cause a change in the opening date; check the website for details.
What’s New at Ski Cooper for 2022-2023:
- Cooper is adding a special “Snowcat, Cookies & Cocoa” event over the Christmas holidays. Families can take a snowcat ride with cookie decorating, hot cocoa, and mulled wine at the mountain Ridgeview Café. Schedule TBD (check website for details).
- Over the holidays, Cooper is adding a kids program for ages three through five, to add to its existing ages 6 & up programming.
What’s Returning to Ski Cooper for 2022-2023:
- $30 Thursdays will return for January and February 2023. Cooper will offer $30-day passes (when you buy online at least 48 hours in advance), $30 rentals, $30 off of Ski School lessons, and live music.
10th Mountain Day is planned for Friday, February 24, 2023.
- Yurt Dinners will return this season with a schedule yet to be determined.
- Chicago Ridge Snowcat Tours will return with a slightly modified format. On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, Cooper will offer half-day tours, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Operating dates will be dependent on snowpack conditions on the Ridge. This will be an add-on to a season pass or day pass and must be purchased in-person at the Guest Services window on the day of skiing. Visitors can choose to purchase either the morning or afternoon session, with each session limited to 12 participants.
Additional Winter Fun in Leadville and Twin Lakes
Enjoy Peaceful Snow-Filled Woods —
Take a quiet walk, Nordic ski, snowshoe, fat bike, or snowmobile through calm, snowy woods–all naturally socially distanced. The Mount Massive Golf Course Ski and Snowshoe Trails open for early-season Nordic skiing, as does the Tennessee Pass Nordic Center. The Timberline Trails network is the perfect fat biking area with narrow lanes.
Take Snowy Adventures with the Family —
Take the family sledding down one of Colorado’s highest and fastest hills on the Dutch Henry Sledding Hill (open from December to March, weather permitting) or ice skate under the sun and stars at Leadville’s open-air Huck Finn Ice Rink (open from December to March, weather permitting). Zip your way above a snow-filled tree line at the Top of the Rockies Zipline (open year-round).
Warm Up in a Charming, Historic Town
Leadville’s downtown streets are filled with beautiful Victorian-era gingerbread homes dating back to its historic mining days. Sample Leadville’s finest eating and drinking establishments at Taste of Leadville (4:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Dec. 2, ) and then head to the town’s annual Parade of Lights (6:00 p.m. Dec. 2) down historic Harrison Avenue.
Treeline Kitchen offers a rooftop deck with “igloos” for outdoor winter dining and amazing mountain views. Treeline’s street-level patio dining includes a fire pit with holiday-inspired drink specials.
Two Mile Brewing Co., North America’s highest brewery, offers lagers and ales, “sammies”, and more.
Head to the cozy Twin Lakes Inn & Saloon for TWIN-ter with weekend dinners and brunches.
For a culture fix, discover the story of American mining, from past to future at the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum.
Hop On Board The Holiday Express
Climb aboard the Leadville Railroad, decorated with lights, for a magical, fun-filled holiday adventure. You’ll travel through the snowy Colorado mountains on a memorable trip for the entire family. Enjoy seating in one of the train’s three heated lounge cars with comfortable booth seating and large windows.
Available for purchase during your trip: hot and cold drinks beer, wine, and a variety of concessions such as popcorn, candy, and chips. Book online. The Holiday Express runs Nov. 19, 2022 through Jan. 21, 2023; Check the calendar for departure days and times.
Holiday Shop for Unique Gifts Locally
Guests can shop Leadville’s historic downtown for unique gifts from the very top of the Rockies. Shop Small Saturday takes place on November 26. Escape the crowds at the mall and shop for unique gifts from local artisans at FREIGHT’s Motherlode Holiday Market (Sundays from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on November 27; December 4, 11, 18.
For additional winter activities to enjoy in the Leadville/Twin Lakes area, visit LeadvilleTwinLakes.com.