The 2022 Colorado primary election is coming up June 28, and a familiar pattern of careful preparation has the Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder’s Office buzzing.
The main event: Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Thursday, June 28. For a Primary Election, Chaffee County is only required to have one Voter Service and Polling Center open, but in this county, the Clerk’s Office also sets up a second Voter Service Polling Center in Buena Vista the day before the election, and the election day.
Voters must be registered to vote. Those that want to vote in either the Republican or Democratic Primaries must be registered. First, and very important to the county’s major political parties, is a look at the county’s registered voters.
As of Thursday, May 26, this is the snapshot of the county voter registration numbers for Democrats, Republicans and unaffiliated (UAF) voters:
Democratic Party 3958
Republican Party 4,308
Clearly, the overwhelming number of unaffiliated voters could have an impact on the primaries, and in Colorado they can vote in the primaries of either of the two major political parties (but they must select which party; UAF’s can only vote in ONE primary).
Important Election Dates
- 9:00 a.m. Friday, May 27, 2022 Public Logic and Accuracy Test. Election Judges and the County perform the test of the voting.
- Monday, June 6, 2022 Last day for voters who are affiliated with a political party to change or withdraw their affiliation if they wish to vote in a different party’s primary election. CRS 1-2-219(1) [An example: If a voter is registered as a member of the Libertarian Party, or the Green Party, they will not be able to vote in the primary. But if they change their party to either Rep., Dem., or UAF by this deadline, then a ballot can be sent.]
- Monday, June 6, 2022 Mail Ballots for the 2022 Primary Election drop at the General Mail Facility in Phoenix.
- Monday, June 20, 2022 Last day a voter can submit a voter registration form/update of registration and still receive a ballot or replacement ballot in the mail.
- Monday, June 20, 2022 Voter Service and Polling Center opens in Salida at the Scout Hut.
- Monday, June 27, 2022 Voter Service and Polling Center opens in Buena Vista at the Community Center.
- Tuesday, June 28, 2022 PRIMARY ELECTION DAY – Polls open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. [All mail ballots must be received by the County Clerk by 7:00 p.m.]