The bridge spanning the Arkansas River located on CR 397 in Granite, Colorado off of US 24 between Leadville and Buena Vista is scheduled to be replaced beginning Monday, November 20.
Chaffee County has been working for several years to secure the $3.1 million in funding needed to complete the work and is finally ready to commence the construction.
Along with its partner Native Sun Construction, the county work will include removing the existing bridge and constructing the new vehicular bridge, including rehabilitating the original truss from the historic bridge. In addition, the access roads will be graded and landscaping will be completed.
This project will improve the strength, safety, and sustainability of the bridge structure while maintaining its historical character and restoring some of its original steel components. Additionally, substantial river bank stabilization will be provided underneath the bridge.
- Abutment rehabilitation – late November 2023 – early March 2024
- Bridge foundation replacement – early March, 2024 – late April, 2024
- Replacement of bridge superstructure -May 2024 *One-day bridge closure
- Modification and rehabilitation of existing truss- early May 2024 – early June 2024
- Project completion work – mid June 2024 – early July, 2024
- The project is scheduled to begin on November 20
- Work is expected to be complete by early July 2024
- Normal (winter) working hours will be from Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- The roadway shall remain open while improvements are being made.
- There will be a bridge closure for one day. Residents and property owners of Granite will be notified in advance of this event.
If you have questions or concerns or if you would like to be added to the public outreach contact list to receive construction updates, use this contact information:
- Project information hotline: 970-765-7160
- Project email: firstname.lastname@example.org.