On Monday, May 15 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office was contacted in regards to two separate burglaries. The first burglary was at a residence on CR 160 and the second was at a Parks and Wildlife building on CR 154.
Investigators from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to both burglaries and say they soon realized that each incident appeared to be committed by the same person. The Salida Police Department assisted with the identification of the suspect who was taken into custody.
The suspect in both burglaries was identified as Nicholas Shane Weaver, age 30, from Salida. Weaver was booked into the Chaffee County Detention Center and charged with the following:
1. Second Degree Burglary (2 counts), class F3 and F4 Felonies
2. Felony Theft (1 count), F5 Felony
3. Criminal Mischief (2 counts), F5 Felony and Petty Offense
4. Possession of Burglary Tools, (1 count), F5 Felony
5. Prohibited Use of a Weapon (1 count), M1 Misdemeanor.
Weaver is being held at this time on a $10,000 cash-only bond.
Investigators recovered all items that were reported as stolen at the time of the investigation, which included several firearms. These items were valued at $9,000.