The Salida Hometown Picnic attracted a modest crowd to Riverside Park where they enjoyed free music, free popcorn and an opportunity to reconnect with friends and neighbors as the summer tourist season winds down.
Salida Mayor P.T. Wood announced the top five winners of the Lucky Ducky Race at Frantz Lake:
- Geoff Brown of Buena Vista won the grand prize of $3,000.
- Second place finisher Robyn Hazlitt of Niwot won an aluminum garage door and opener from American Overhead Door.
- Jim Stone of Manitou Springs won a granite-top bathroom vanity with fixtures from Legends Kitchen and Bath.
- T&B Van Santea of Salida won a two-day, two-person champagne float from Dvorak Expeditions.
- Kyla Ray Zuzack of Orinda, Calif., won a Green Mountain pellet grill from Salida Stove and Spa.
The music started with a performance by Brian “Catfish” Waldrip and TJ Hittle. After Mayor Wood announced the ducky race winners, the San Luis Valley Big Band took the stage, opening their set with a rendition of “Soul Man” reminiscent of The Blues Brothers and continuing with jazz standards and tunes from the Great American Songbook.